The Greenville Spinners Bicycle Club has a long history of hosting group rides from the South Carolina Technology and Aviation Center (formerly called Donaldson Center, an Army Airbase during WWII). The Spinners lease property from SCTAC as a convenience for our members to park and ride.
Parking Lot Address: 642 Perimeter Road Greenville 29605
Tuesday Night Rides
The club currently hosts group rides beginning the first Tuesday in April, occurring weekly during spring and summer months, ending in mid-September when daylight starts dwindling. The kickoff rides for the 2019 season will start at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, April 2 (weather permitting).
A & B pace race-simulated rides will start near the Spinners’ paved parking area and ride clockwise around Perimeter Road, escorted by Greenville County Sheriff’s Department pace cars. Participants in these rides are requested to provide a $5 donation towards the ride escort support.
The C-Country Loop rides, which vary in length and pace, will start from the “Club Loop” drive area as has been done in the last few years. These rides are led by ride leader volunteers to help maintain the posted pace and ensure safety for all riders.
While we do not require participants in these rides to be Greenville Spinners Bicycle Club members, we highly encourage you to join the Spinners! Among other benefits, your membership helps pay for the parking lot and porta-potty rentals at SCTAC. As a member, you are also covered with supplemental insurance on all Spinners’ group rides in case of an accident resulting in injury. See the membership page for more information.
A & B pace/Perimeter Road lap rides will gather here:
A&B Perimeter Road Ride ($5 fee)
Distance: 7.2 mile loops around Perimeter Road
Pace: 20+ mph. Riders in this group are expected to be able to handle close group riding with race-oriented simulation.
C-Country Loop rides will begin from here:
C – Country Loop Rides (no fee)
Note: Longer distance indicated is for the “right hand” turn/counter-clockwise return route on Perimeter Road (highly recommended to avoid the peleton of A & B loop riders riding clockwise)
Group | Distance | Pace (average mph) | Route Markings
“Bridge” | 20 miles | 12-13 | Red
C14 | 22/24 | 14-15 mph | Yellow
C15 | 22/24 | 15-16 mph | Yellow
C17 | 31/33 | 17- 18 mph | Green
C18 | 31/33 | 18-19 mph | Green
C19 | 31/33 | 19-20 mph | Green
C21 |31/33 | 21+ mph | Green
Links to C-Country Loop Route Maps:
Country Loop Route Cycling Rules
Most of you are aware of and follow these road-riding tips. However it’s always good to be reminded of them and the cycling behavior expected on the Spinners SCTAC Country Route Rides.
- Obey all traffic laws.
• If you hear or see emergency vehicles approaching please get off the road as quickly and safely as possible.
• Always have emergency contact information on you.
• The ride leader decides when to go and stop. Please respect the ride leader’s position and instructions.
• Do not blow through stop signs or red lights.
• Do not chase cyclists going beyond the posted group speed. This will break up the group.
• Regroup at stop signs and allow the people at the back of the group to get a drink or snack and catch their breath if needed.
• Listen and respect the ride leader and ride support volunteers. They are there to keep everyone safe and to ensure the posted ride pace is maintained.
• Never leave a stop sign or red light until the ride leader says it is clear to proceed.
• Never cross the yellow line unless it is absolutely necessary.
• Do not crowd the yellow line. Stay 2 feet off of the yellow line unless passing a fellow cyclist.
• Be respectful of each other. Aggressive attitudes are not welcome.
- Call out and/or point out road hazards and traffic situations for others.
Car approaching from ahead = “car up”
Car approaching from behind = “car back”
Car passing group = “car passing” or “coming around”
Point out potholes, bumps, sticks, glass, rocks/gravel/sand or other potential hazards
- No headphones or earbuds allowed.
• All riders must wear a cycling helmet.