The Greenville Spinners Bicycle Club has a long history of hosting group rides from the South Carolina Technology and Aviation Center (SCTAC), formerly called Donaldson Center, an Army Airbase during WWII. The club leases the property from SCTAC and provides porta-potties as a convenience for our members to park and ride.
Parking Lot Address: 642 Perimeter Road Greenville 29605
Tuesday Night Rides – 6:00 p.m. Start
The club currently hosts group rides beginning the first Tuesday in April. The rides occur weekly during spring and summer months, ending in mid-September when daylight starts dwindling. The kickoff rides for the 2021 season will start at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, April 13 (weather permitting).
A & B group race-pace rides start near the Spinners’ paved parking area and ride clockwise around Perimeter Road, escorted by a Greenville County Sheriff’s deputy. A & B group participants are asked to donate $5 to reimburse the costs of the police, porta-potties and the lease on the property.
The C-Country Loop rides, which vary in distance and pace, will start from the “Club Loop” Drive area. These rides are led by ride leader volunteers to help maintain the posted pace and ensure safety for all riders. There is no fee to participate in the C-Country Loop rides.
We highly encourage all riders to be Spinners Members in good standing. Membership benefits include discounts at local bike shops, free admission to official club rides and time trials, and supplemental insurance on all official Spinners’ rides. It also helps pay for the club lease on the property and year-round porta potty rentals. See the membership page for more information on these and other additional benefits.
A & B pace/Perimeter Road lap rides gather here:
A & B Perimeter Road Ride ($5 donation)
Distance: 7.2-mile loops around Perimeter Road
Pace: 20+ mph. Riders in this group are expected to be able to handle close group riding with race-oriented simulation.
C – Country Loop rides begin from here:
The classic 31-mile loop riding south through smooth country roads and low traffic neighborhoods. There is a great ride for everyone at SCTAC. Group rides are organized by average speed with dedicated leaders to ensure structure, safety, and that the group maintains the posted average speed.
C Group Launches from Here
Membership strongly encouraged
Group | Distance | Pace (average mph) | Route Markings
“Bridge” | 20 miles | 12-13 mph | Orange
C14 | 22/24 | 14 mph | Yellow
C15 | 22/24 | 15 mph | Yellow
C17 | 31/33 | 17 mph | Green
C18 | 31/33 | 18 mph | Green
C19 | 31/33 | 19 mph | Green
C21 | 31/33 | 21+ mph | Green
*Pace groups are to stay within 1 mph of their designated speed
Links to C – Country Loop Route Maps:
Note: Groups are asked to take a right-hand turn (counter-clockwise) as they return Perimeter Road to avoid the peloton of A & B loop riders riding clockwise.
C – Country Loop Route Cycling Rules
Most of you are aware of and follow these road-riding tips. However, it’s always good to be reminded of them and the cycling behavior expected on the Spinners SCTAC Country Route Rides.
- Obey all traffic laws
- If you hear or see emergency vehicles approaching please stop and get off the road as quickly and safely as possible
- Always have emergency contact information on you
- The ride leader decides when to go and stop. Please respect the ride leader’s position and instructions
- You must stop at all stop signs or red lights
- Do not chase cyclists going beyond the posted group speed. This will break up the group
- Regroup at stop signs and allow the people at the back of the group to get a drink or snack and catch their breath if needed
- Listen and respect the ride leader and ride support volunteers. They are there to keep everyone safe and to ensure the posted ride pace is maintained
- Never leave a stop sign or traffic signal intersection until the ride leader says it is clear to proceed
- Stay to the right side of the yellow line(s) at all times. Never cross the yellow line(s)
- Always ride no more than 2 abreast on the right side of the road
- Be respectful of each other. Aggressive attitudes are not welcome
- No headphones or earbuds allowed
- All riders must wear a cycling helmet
- Call out and/or point out road hazards and traffic situations for others
- Car approaching from ahead = “Car Up!”
- Car approaching from behind = “Car Back!”
- Car passing group = “Car Passing!” or “Coming Around!”
- Point or call out potholes, bumps, sticks, glass, rocks/gravel/sand, roadkill or other potential hazards
- Indicate turns or group slowing/stopping with appropriate hand signals