Want to help get people out of wheelchairs and onto bikes? UCAN! Please join GHS Every Woman Cycling Team for our "Yes UCAN!" ride to benefit the UCAN Adaptive Cycling Program
Want to help get people out of wheelchairs and onto bikes? UCAN!
Please join GHS Every Woman Cycling Team for our “Yes UCAN!” ride to benefit the UCAN Adaptive Cycling Program on Sunday, October 7, pedaling at 1pm from Greer Memorial Hospital.
This event is open to cyclists with road bikes and helmets. We have three routes (48, 39 & 25 miles) with designated leaders for all paces. Plan to hang around afterwards for free post-ride refreshments including cold drinks, hot pizza from Wild Ace Pizza & Pub, and fresh-baked cookies from West End Co-Op. CLICK HERE for event page.
This benefit ride is FREE but we welcome – indeed, encourage – donations to help purchase new hand-cycles for Upstate Community Abilities Network (UCAN), a 100% donor-supported outreach that provides people with disabilities the opportunity to enjoy outdoor recreational activities.
EVERY $20 DONATION GETS ONE TICKET* FOR DOORPRIZES including:
- BMW VIP TRACK MEET DRIVE EXPERIENCE at the BMW Performance Center (includes lunch; track meet with autocross course, slalom loop, off-road track, wet surface rat race, ‘hot lap’ taxi ride; drinks and hors d’oeuvres)
- SPARKLE CITY STAYCATION at AC Hotel Spartanburg (includes one complimentary night, two cocktails in the AC Lounge, breakfast for two)
- SWAMP RABBIT STAYCATION at Swamp Rabbit Inn (includes one complimentary night, two bike rentals from The Bike Shed, a copy of “Cycling Greenville SC”)
- EIGHT-WEEK COMPUTRAINER SERIES at Greenville Cycling Center (session of your choice through Spring 2019)
- BIKE OVERHAUL SERVICE PACKAGE at Benchmark Bicycle Supply Company
- ONE YEAR OF SUPER HAIRCUTS at any of seven Upstate Supercuts locations (Pelham Commons, Hudson Corners, Taylors Square, North Hampton Market, Easley Town Center, Dorman Centre and Hillcrest Shopping Center)
- HINCAPIE GRAN FONDO CHATTANOOGA complimentary entry for an amazing ride through the Tennessee mountains on May 4, 2019 (good for your choice of grand, medio or piccolo event)
- A NIGHT AT GREENVILLE LITTLE THEATRE with two complimentary tickets for “Wait Until Dark” (runs 10/26 through 11/11)
*Donate $100 and get an extra doorprize ticket (6 instead of 5)*
WE HAVE PERKS TO ENCOURAGE TEAM PARTICIPATION. Bring your teammates! The two groups with the most riders in a team jersey get one of the following for each participant (up to 20 riders; must sign in as team members at registration):
- SWORD PERFORMANCE water bottle plus sample of endurance drink mix
- VIVE! shaker cup
UCAN’s Adaptive Cycling Program maintains hand-cycles, trikes and recumbents for participants during twice-monthly group rides designed to develop independence, confidence and fitness through the sport of cycling. Adaptive bikes are pricey – 100% of the money raised during our benefit ride will go toward increasing UCAN’s fleet.
Thank you for supporting our efforts to get people out of wheelchairs and onto bikes!
Distance/Pace Details: We have ride leaders taking groups at paces coordinated to get everyone back around the same time to enjoy post-ride pizza (A, 48 miles, 20mph; B, 48 miles, 18mph; C1, 39 miles, 17mph; C2, 39 miles, 15mph; C3, 25 miles, 15mph; D w/no drop, 25 miles, 13mph). Participants are of course welcome to ride separate from the “official” groups at whatever pace suits them best. Wild Ace Pizza & Pub is delivering hot pizza at 3:30pm. A SAG stop midway along the two longer routes is provided compliments of Praise Cathedral.
Small Print Details: On-site registration opens at noon at Greer Memorial Hospital (830 S Buncombe Road, Greer SC 29650). Park in the lot adjacent to Medical Building 315 (entrance #3) then head over to the registration tent at the hospital’s main entrance (entrance #2). You MUST sign a waiver. The waiver gets you a ticket for FREE post-ride pizza at 3:30PM. If you don’t sign a waiver, you aren’t on our ride. Helmets required. No ear buds. Follow all rules of the road, including but not limited to: no crossing the yellow line, no more than two abreast, complete stop at all red lights and stop signs.
Pictured here is a UCAN participant riding the Top End Force 3 racing bike purchased with funds from last year’s “Yes UCAN!” event – a handcycle that provides riders with disabilities the opportunity to race bikes in addition to riding on the Swamp Rabbit Trail.