The White Squirrel Cycling Classic is a classic fall spinner during fabulous fall leaf season. Starting and ending at the Tasty Weasel tasting room at Oskar Blues Brewery in Brevard
The White Squirrel Cycling Classic is a classic fall spinner during fabulous fall leaf season. Starting and ending at the Tasty Weasel tasting room at Oskar Blues Brewery in Brevard NC! Riders will head out on flat valley roads near the base of Pisgah National Forest. They’ll meander along the French Broad River before heading into Henderson County and then back to Oskar Blues. These routes will lead riders on a fully guided and supported tour of some Transylvania County’s finest roads! Chip timing, fully supported rest stops with medical assistance available and SAG wagons.
Date: Saturday, October 15, 2016 (Rain or Shine)
Time: Mandatory ride meeting at start line at 8:45am. Ride starts at 9:00am.
Packet Pickup: Registration packet pickup begins race morning at 7am.
Fee: This depends on the route and the date you sign up, please check the registration page for more details.
Amenities: Timing with Category Results & Awards! Time clock, awesome rest stops with medical assistance available (if needed), SAG wagons, well marked route, restrooms and so much more.
Required Gear: All riders must wear a secure helmet at all times during the race.
Rest Stops: There are 3 rest stops on the 63 mile course, 2 rest stops on the 40 mile course, and 1 rest stop on the 25 mile course. You may shuttle anything you want to any of the rest stops. Be prepared to label and bag up your personal items by 8:30 am. Rest stops are stocked with H20, Heed Energy Drink, bars and assorted snacks, fruits, PB&J sandwiches, and lots of encouragement from our rest stop personnel!
Finish Party: A food truck will be on hand for riders and the general public. Each rider will receive a ticket for beverages. The Tasty Weasel (Oskar Blues Brewery) will be open to riders/spectators. Massages will also be available for $1/minute.
T Shirts: 100% cotton pre-shrunk Tshirts will be guaranteed to all participants preregistered by October 2, 2016.
Directions: Race start/finish is in front of the Tasty Weasel tasting room at Oskar Blues Brewery in Brevard, NC.
For 2016, all of Blue Ridge Adventures’ races help support the Bread of Life.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is the White Squirrel Cycling Classic? This bicycle tour of some of Western North Carolina’s finest roads will also have chip timing and police officers at nearly every intersection to keep the ride flowing. Choose from the 25, 40, or 63 mile tour depending on your fitness and desire.
2. What is included with my entry fee? Chip timing. Police at most intersections to allow riders a smooth flowing course. Fully staffed aid stations with medical assistance available, and a shuttle system for your personal goods. SAG wagons following behind, race t-shirt and ticket for post-ride beverage.
3. Do I need a racing license and what is my racing age? No you will not need a USA cycling license to race this event. Your racing age is your age on 12/31/16.
4. What is the start time for the event? Shuttle items must be dropped off and ready to go by 8:30am. There will be a race meeting at 8:45am at the start line where the race director will go over important information. The race will start at 9AM with a police escort leading riders for the initial 2.7 miles.
5. Where does the race start? The race will start/end in Brevard at Oskar Blues Brewery, located at 342 Mountain Industrial Drive, Brevard, NC 28712.
6. What is provided at the Rest Stops and how do I shuttle items? Rest Stops will be fully stocked with Heed, plenty of cold Water, PB & J, Chips, Soda, Fresh Fruit and Advil. You can also shuttle any items you like to the rest stop. You will be provided bags in your race packet with your number on them. These are for use to shuttle your personal items. We will also have extra bags if needed. There will be a place at the Start to drop your bags in the morning and they will return there after the Rest Stop has closed. Please check the schedule for exact return times for shuttle items. We will not mail items if left behind.
7. How will the course be marked? Check out the Course Markings page.
8. Is the course shut down for race use only on race day? No. This is an open course and you may encounter other users during the race. You must abide by road regulations which require bikers yield to pedestrians. Beware of cars on all sections of the course.
9. Are there cut-off times? There 3 cut-off times for the event.
Rest Stop 1 at Mile 11 – Cherryfield Baptist Church: 10:30am
Rest Stop 2 at Mile 32 – Little River Baptist Church: 12:30pm
Rest Stop 3 at Mile 54 – Blantyre Baptist Church: 2:00pm
10. What happens if I can’t finish the race? There will be several SAG wagons following behind the race to transport you and your bike back to the finish in case you are unable to complete the route. There is no extra fee for this.
11. Are there awards? Medals will be awarded 3 deep for both overall male and overall female. *Must be present to collect your award.
12. What is the best airport to fly in to? We would recommend flying in to the Asheville Regional Airport. It is a straight 25 minute drive down Hwy 280 from the airport to the start/finish and all lodging for the event in Brevard, NC. If you opt to fly into the Charlotte or Greenville airports – shuttle service is available privately through Asheville Shuttle.
13. What is the cancellation policy?
We do not carryover entries to another year
Transfer to another person – $20 until October 9
All transfers must be received by October 9
(Saturday) 9:00 am EST
Oskar Blues Brewery
Oskar Blues Brewery, 342 MOUNTAIN INDUSTRIAL DR, BREVARD, NC 28712